The effects of human-caused climate change continue to worsen, making choosing eco-friendly practices more important than ever before. This is especially true for the construction industry, as the building sector is responsible for almost 40% of global greenhouse gas emissions, according to Architecture 2030.
Fortunately, architects, construction workers, material manufacturers, and more all have eyes to the future. More and more customers demand sustainability from the construction industry – and more and more construction companies are able to provide just that with eco-friendly construction practices.
Here is a brief overview of why eco-friendly construction is important, types of sustainable building materials, the benefits of sustainable construction, and how we here at E.K. Bailey Construction are focusing on sustainability.
Why Eco-Friendly Construction Is Important
With 97% of scientists in agreement about climate change, there’s no question that doing what we can to address the issue is crucial. As more and more people focus on preserving the environment, the need for sustainable construction materials and practices continues to increase. Fortunately, the construction industry is adapting to meet such demands, keeping customers and the planet happier.
These “green buildings” have less of a negative impact on the environment than their traditional counterparts. They are energy-efficient, reduce waste, and conserve resources. Not only is this beneficial to the environment, but it also provides benefits like superior indoor air quality.
Types Of Eco-Friendly Building Materials
A significant part of eco-friendly construction is the materials and where they are sourced from. Some eco-friendly building materials are as follows.
- Reclaimed wood. This is wood that has been previously used for other applications, such as demolished buildings and deconstructed furniture, but is now being repurposed for construction. It can be used in a variety of ways, such as for flooring, cabinetry, and trim.
- Concrete. Especially engineered cementitious composite bendable concrete. This is made of the same components as traditional concrete, but has small, polymer-derived fibers which increase its flexibility and durability. When precast, concrete slabs are more sustainable, because they require less materials and energy to produce. The construction processes involved in precast concrete also contribute to sustainability, as they involve reusing molds and forms.
- Clay. This material has a long history of use in the construction industry and also happens to be quite sustainable. It can be formed into different shapes and sizes without other materials, while also being termite- and fire-resistant. Clay is abundant throughout the world and is relatively easy to extract, while also being recyclable.
- Steel. Particularly recycled steel, as well as other metals. It not only is an important component in structures, but can be recycled multiple times without losing its properties. Since old steel can be melted down to create recycled steel, this reduces the amount of waste generated by the construction industry.
These are but a few of the many different sustainable building materials available. The types and quality of the materials used in construction significantly impact the longevity, quality, and durability of the structure, as well as the expenses – both from the construction process itself and further down the road when it comes to building maintenance.
The Benefits Of Eco-Friendly Construction
Since the construction industry contributes so badly to pollution with high emission rates of machines, material manufacturing, and more, there are many benefits to eco-friendly construction.
Working towards more sustainable practices can result in the following benefits.
- Decreased greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lowered utility costs through enhanced efficiency.
- Minimized stormwater runoff which protects the ecosystem.
- Increased project profitability since minimized waste means decreased operational costs and increased cost-efficiency.
- Prevention of project delays that often result from supply chain limitations and material damage.
- Improvement of natural resource conservation.
- Meeting the demands of sustainability driven customers, who are more likely to pay higher prices than conventional customers in order to receive eco-friendly work.
- Improved health through preserving the environment and providing improved indoor air quality.
- Bolstered reputation, as people look positively on companies focused on environmental preservation.
- And many more than we could cover here, such as job creation, tax benefits, and beyond.
Sustainability With E.K. Bailey Construction
Here at E.K. Bailey Construction, we’re passionate about providing our customers with the best possible services and materials. We’ve constructed many sustainable and adaptable buildings for Utah businesses that take the climate into consideration and that are made to last a lifetime. We have our own pit to source materials from in order to ensure that our customers receive the best of the best. To learn more about our construction services or processes, please don’t hesitate to contact us.